Friday, May 25, 2012

Hi there,

I'm really sorry for not posting.
I, pretty much, wasn't doing anything ray tracing related :(.


For starters, I would like to give you a little update:
I'm writting my master's thesis this year and it's about raytracing.

However I'm working commercially, for quite some time now, in the Java EE / Spring field, and shamefully enough, I feel like going that direction.


I'm no longer the guy that had entire weeks to "waste" just to render that caustic reflections, in the cornell box, a little bit faster.

So that being said, writting my master's could be my last ray tracing encounter.
I know how it sounds, but to me, this thing is like, too much absorbing for a hobby, you know?

And how are you guys with your ray tracing projects? How is life?

Sincerely



4 comments:

  1. Hi Michael it's always nice to hear from you. I totally understand how you feel. Me two after finishing my graduation project last year and accidentally deleting my pet ray tracer, I didn't feel like writing another ray tracer again. But since I have a lot of free time now (still jobless :( ) I bought pbrt v2 and slowly started to write a ray tracer from scratch, I called it yagir (yet another global illumination renderer), at the moment it only has path tracing, sppm and xml scene format; I added texture mapping just for the fun of making "different" renders. But this whole thing is so much time & brain consuming, making something that is useful and stable is just so overwhelming and it doesn't make sense anymore to do it without getting paid. Probably I'll make a post about my progress soon.

    What is the title of your master thesis?

    Congratulations for the job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Dridi, I was hoping to have a chat with you on gtalk but every time I've seen you you were just going off :P.

    The title is "Comparison of rendering algorithms", something like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading your master thesis. See you soon on gtalk ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to your thesis as well. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete