Sunday, June 14, 2009

Java path tracing

Hello I'm back.

My current weapon of choice is Java though.

The renderer supports:
  • median split BVH,
  • thin lens and pinhole camera models,
  • sphere and Triangle primitives,
  • naive path tracing with lambertian surfaces only,
  • rendering in a progressive manner.
Performance is not that bad. I designed it to take full advantage of the new feature of java called Escape Analysis, so I'm not reusing objects (what leads to ugly code btw.) but creating them like crazy.

What sucks though is that there is no 1.6.0_14 java for Mac OS X yet, but I've tested in on windows and it works very well.

Some first, naive path tracing, renderings:

6 comments:

  1. Nice renderings , I hope to see more images from you.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What happened to mlt? I was really looking forward to that nice mltish noise.

    I will soon code in java myself, keep an eye open for those sexy-looking renders. :-B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mlt will crack ur brinez, just w8.

    Java <3 <3 :-B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice renders indeed! Plus it's nice to see you develop on Mac... in Java, though ;-)

    Keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very curious about "rendering in a progressive manner". Is there a technique implied?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would also be interested in knowing what "progressive manner means" ;)

    ReplyDelete